Training Tips of a Chief Master #5 — Use Video
- Every great athlete, every great sports team, uses video as a way to improve technique. Remember Tip #1: be prepared to be alone. So if it will be six months before your see your instructor or your next clinic, video your form so you can evaluate your performance.
- Taekwondo is photogenic. We all love to watch great martial artists and stuntmen delivering fatal blows to an evil character
- But I am not sure you yourself sees the value in filming your own performances.
- Forget self-consicousness. You ARE performing just like the olympic athletes and movie stars.
- How to use video:
- video your form, watch it for stances, timing, eye contact, confidence. Mark the date in your notebook and KEEP the video for later reference
- a month later, video the form again and review for the same criteria
- see if you can share video with your instructor or some other instructor that you know will provide honest feedback.